Thursday, February 19, 2015

Parenting Difficulties - Getting your toddler to listen

These days, it's been a struggle to handle Agirl - she's 2.5 years old and doing everything per the book - testing her limits, tantrums... the works. I've been struggling with getting her to listen to me. She does all sorts of shenanigans to get my attention.

In desperation, I turned to the internet to find some help in what to do to get her to listen to me.

Most of the articles on the internet seem to agree on the following:
  1. Avoid situations from being created by making sure they're not sleepy or hungry. 
  2. Carry some small toys to distract their attention
  3. Give plenty of attention
  4. Praise them when they are good
  5. Stay calm and don't yell
  6. Get on his level and talk to him with eye contact
  7. Keep your message short and to the point and clear
  8. Follow through on warnings
  9. Try a reward system
  10. Try Timeouts if the child is old enough
Hopefully, these should work. They are certainly worth trying.

Some of the articles I read were:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slid off again!

The last few weeks have been extremely busy and I have not spent much time on the computer at all. So I have not been blogging much - hope t...

Popular