Saturday, April 7, 2012

Staying at home

A couple of days ago, I spoke with a friend of mine who has a 7-month-old baby and she told me she has decided to quit her job and stay at home for a year to take care of her baby.

Her parents who had been helping her out so far could not anymore and she had to leave the baby in daycare for a few days. She really didn't want to do this. This was a tough decision for her and she will need to make some sacrifices with respect to her lifestyle and finances but she's happy with her decision.

I'm very happy for her and also jealous at the same time.

Even though my baby's not due for a few more months, even before I got pregnant, I've always wanted to stay at home to take care of the baby for the baby's 1st year at least. Unfortunately, it's not going to be possible for me. My husband's company's health insurance is not good and we (my husband, me and the baby) are going to be on my company's health insurance. I'm going to take 12 weeks off work to take care of the baby but after that, I'm going to go back to work and it's going to be so hard.

I'm willing to make all the other sacrifices but not willing to take a chance with health care - particularly given my health history and a new baby.

I hope I'm making the right decision but I shall have to wait and see how things work out and how I feel after the baby comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slid off again!

The last few weeks have been extremely busy and I have not spent much time on the computer at all. So I have not been blogging much - hope t...

Popular