Sunday, March 22, 2015

Fry "Applam" in the microwave

I was watching the TV show "The Kitchen" the other day on Food Network. They had a part of the show where some of the hosts talk about microwave uses.

One of the tips mentioned was how to make potato chips in the microwave and to make sure they are crunchy. I thought why not try the same thing with appalam. I thought this would be great since I did not have to use up a lot of oil to enjoy my favorite appalam.

So, the tips says to start with a microwave safe plate and take a piece of parchment paper and spread some oil on it - enough to cover the area. I just poured a little bit of oil on it and spread it with my fingers around the parchment paper.




I first tried with pepper appalam chips which I had bought in India. I put a few side-by-side and put in microwave for 2 minutes. This came out very well - crunchy and not oily.




Next, I wanted to try a whole appalam. I put the appalam on it and kept it in the microwave for 2-3 mins, depending on your microwave. This came out decent but not perfect - some of the edges I felt were not fully cooked. So on my next try, I tried to spray the side facing up with oil (using Pam cooking spray). Then I put in microwave for 2-3 minutes.

This came out well. My husband grabbed it from my hand before I could even taste it. :)

Try this recipe out and let me know how you like it!

Fry "Appalam" in the Microwave:

1. Take microwave safe plate and put a piece of parchment paper on it
2. Pour a little oil on it and spread it around the parchment paper with a spoon
3. Place the appalam or appalam chips on it
4. Put in micro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slid off again!

The last few weeks have been extremely busy and I have not spent much time on the computer at all. So I have not been blogging much - hope t...

Popular