Saturday, January 3, 2015

Lack of diversity in books and movies

I came across this article and it got me to thinking. The Indian American population is about 1% in the US and more concentrated in certain areas like New Jersey, New York, Silicon Valley, etc. We don't have any books or media that Indian American children will be exposed to as they grow up.

While most Indian American children are exposed to their culture when they visit their roots or at home or through their community, not everybody is able to do that. Whenever I visit India, I try to stock up on books about indian history or mythology or moral stories around indian culture so that when my daughter grows up to an age when she can understand these stories, she still gets the indian influence and indian culture and doesn't feel alone.

The Indian American population is one of the fastest-growing population groups in the US and at some point in the next few years, I hope to see some books and media around this cultural group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slid off again!

The last few weeks have been extremely busy and I have not spent much time on the computer at all. So I have not been blogging much - hope t...

Popular